Monday, October 10, 2005

Firefly and Serenity

Well, I did it. I managed to watch all the Firefly episodes before checking out the movie, with two hours to spare :)

I've got to say, with every episode I watched, I enjoyed the series more. The writing and character development is really well done, and it's pretty darned funny to boot. I can't believe they canceled it just as it was taking off. It was kind of the opposite of what Star Trek and Star Wars have been of late. Less tech, and much more fun. And this is from a guy who has a penchant for hard science fiction.

At any rate, I also enjoyed the film. I went with three others who hadn't seen Firefly, and they seemed to like it as well. I think it's quite a tough job to introduce this world and so many characters to an audience who may never have seen the series. Still the movie seems to do all this and more, with entertainment value that is missing in many other sci-fi films of late.

However, I actually think this whole concept works better as a TV series, rather than a series of movies. So, now I join the ranks who are hoping someone will bring back the TV show in some incarnation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i didn't watch serenity yet but firefly was very cool, this is shame that this series was canceled, but now hmmm who knows maybe there will be second season/new series :]

Anonymous said...

I hope they will continue firefly someday... the only problem is to convince the dead-brain guys that are (usually) behind the allow/cancel scissors...

well... dreaming and breathing are still free...

Mohammad said...

First off, I agree with you the show as well as the movie were great! Now on to the real question I have for you.

I looked for an email for you, but didn't see one so I'm going to ask this question here. Is there any chance at some point in the future you will incorperate ZVG drivers into a build of regular Windows MAME? DOSMAME is kicking my ass geting a laptop working with it and it would make my life easier! I know you are a super busy guy, but just wondering if this is even a blimp on your radar for things to do one day. Thanks a bunch!

Knarfian said...

I've looked into this - it tough because the ZVG code does low-level stuff with the parallel port (DMA) that is really hard to do on Windows, from what I understand. It's probably possible to do it without DMA, and then it might be glitchy, unless your PC is really fast. Right now, it's on my back burner - way back. If someone else is interested though, by all means contact Zonn Moore and get going on it :)

Anonymous said...

Check out the graphic novel "Those Left Behind" by Joss Whedon - it bridges the gap between the series and the movie. Explains the absense of the "2x2 Hands of Blue" guys.

Also, if you haven't already, check out the new Battlestar Galactica (I was skeptical at first, but love it now). In the mini-series (3 or 4 hour pilot episode of sorts) the ship "Serenity" actually makes a cameo outside the "Doc's" office.

Fun with FPGAs - recreating the Atari TIA, Part 1

I have been playing with recreating the Atari TIA chip as used in the original 2600 in an FPGA.  I know this has been done a few times alrea...