Monday, May 08, 2006

Some porting work

I really need to post more often!

For a while now, I've been wanting to experiment with new methods of high-speed circuit simulation. The idea would be to prototype some discrete-audio stuff, possibly for MAME, using something like Python.

After looking into the requirements, I realized that I needed to handle polynomials with a single variable, and ratios of these polynomials. Also, I needed to be able to handle real or complex variables. I looked around on the web, and I found that SciPy is finally coming along nicely on Windows. However, I wasn't entirely happy with the root finder they use.

Along the way, I also found the ratfun package, which looked perfect, but was unsupported on Windows. I dug in and in a couple weekends, got it building under Windows. I think I'll be using it for the experiments, whenever I get back to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oooooooooooh. neato.

Fun with FPGAs - recreating the Atari TIA, Part 1

I have been playing with recreating the Atari TIA chip as used in the original 2600 in an FPGA.  I know this has been done a few times alrea...